Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ordinary People, Extraordinary Play

"Feelings are scary. And sometimes they're painful. And if you can't feel pain... you won't feel anything else either. You know what I'm saying?"
-Dr. Berger-


I wasn't sure what to expect.  I had a long day and lots of reasons to not go back to school on a Saturday night, but from the opening scene, I was hooked into this play.  I always enjoy seeing my students (even if they're not in my classes, they're part of the WeGo family) doing what they love.  Love for acting and being a part of the theater program was inspiring and evident throughout the play.

Ordinary People is a play that lives up to it's title. It is a play about an average American family dealing with issues ranging from the death of a younger brother, to alcoholism, to love.  I admired the honesty of the play:  it reminded me of how ordinary my life is too, but ordinary in a good way, in a way that makes me related to my friends, family, and others around me.  We can all get so hung up on how difficult our situations or life problems are and oftentimes neglect the fact that we're not the only ones dealing with issues.

The play also reminds us to feel.  Con and his mother suffer from "sweep it under the rug" syndrome.  They don't deal with their issues.  They're bottlers.  I can relate to that!  In fact, much of the play was easy to relate to, which in my eyes, made it a success on the high school stage.

Did anyone else see the play?  What did you think?  Let's hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment